I don’t think I could ever get into a habit of being consistent with my blogging / updating. It’s really bad! But I’ll keep trying, maybe one day I’ll get there. Here are some updates without further ado:
New Game: Invasion – Watch the gameplay video here!
After Sinjid was finished, I have been spending some time sharpening up my technical skills a little. Things like coding patterns, math, effects, EXPLOSIONS, et cetera. I feel like I should do that from time to time in order to be a better developer. But actually I think it’s dull just to develop and practice skills on its own, so that is why I started a new game called Invasion (working title, at least). The game was actually to be a technical exercise for me – giving me and David some room to experiment with new ideas. A lot of the code used in this (item generation, effects, particles, data system, inventory system) will be carried over to new projects (like Sonny 3). It’s also to help me learn how to export into iOS directly from Flash. Also, blowing things up is just pure, unrefined fun :D
I’ve started Sonny 3 production, finally! It will be a while before I have any videos or screens available – the visuals will only start to come together once the game engine is done (right now, everyone is a box – coder art FTW). But in the meantime, here’s a bit more info:
- It will be using a completely new engined designed from the ground up.
- It will be turn based, and you still select the target, and your skills will pop-up around.
- It will be targeted for mobile as well.
- Story will most likely be rebooted like Sinjid was.
- No more classes and skill trees. You will literally build your own class and customise your skills as you play.
- You skill have an Ability Wheel with 8 slots.
- Passive Skills will need to go on the wheel as well.
- Reactive Skills are a new type of passives. You put them on to the wheel, and they will proc off the active skill(s) that they are adjacent to. They will do things like decrease cooldown, add a second ‘strike’ to the skill, cause it to stun, etc.
- Since there is no more skill tree, you actually gain Skills by absorbing them from slain enemies. Any skill that any enemy has, can be yours. It is up to you to find the right set of skills that work well together, and hunt down the right enemies to take them for yourself.
- Skills are levelled up separately. Each skill will sort of have it’s own mini ‘tree’ that you can use to specialise the skill further . It doesn’t take long to level up a new skill to max level – the main point of this is for very intricate customisation. It shouldn’t be a grind.
- New Overload mechanic – Overloads are sort of like little extra skills you can cast on top of an existing skill. So your vanilla “fireball” spell could be overloaded to do more damage, or stun the enemy, or leave a damaging burn – adding more tactical choices to each skill. Of course, using an overload (rather than a vanilla cast) of a skill will incur some kind of extra cost to your character.
- Less emphasis on stats, more on strategy. The new skill system will have a LOT of mechanics – and these mechanics are how you will win fights. Pure stats will carry much less weight in Sonny 3.
I’ve been working with Flash a long time, and now is the time to start thinking about other platforms. I’ve been poking around in Unity a little bit, and it looks very exciting! It’s a lot more powerful than Flash, and it can export to Steam and Mobile (and even consoles). For now, my Unity experiments are very embarrassing piles of crap using stock images and extremely basic gameplay :P But I’ll be working to improve that over time – hopefully it will lead to bigger and better games :)